Week 6 update, part 2

Even after the robot was finished, we still had plenty of things to do.

First of all, we went to a scrimmage event on Saturday. It was quite the eye-opener for our rookies, as most of them had not been to such an event before. It gave them a taste of how the competition would be, but I quote the words of our mentor Dean: “The competition is ten times crazier.”

At the scrimmage, it was apparent that not all the teams were exactly ready. Some robots would tip over obstacles, some robots would have trouble shooting balls, and some robots would not budge at all. Of course, that included our robot as well. We faced issues with our shooter, and most of the time it was on the floor, and we could hardly go anywhere as a result. Thankfully, things improved as time passed, and teams, including us, were able to fix most of the problems they had been facing.


But driving the robot was not the only thing our members had to do. Our rookies also scouted for the team. Scouting was not something that we would focus on, as we did not have enough people to scout while working on the robot. As we have several new members this year, we sent them to scout as other teams competed against each other. After being shown how, the rookies took turns sitting at the spectator side, taking notes on the robots’ performances.


We also asked one of the inspectors to come over and take a look at our robot. Our mentors had the rookies to answer most of the questions asked, as we want our members to be able to answer any questions people might ask during the actual competition – and in fact, several teams sent out scouting teams and asked us questions even at the scrimmage. But that was not the only reason why we wanted our robot to be inspected. It is always a good idea to do things ahead of time, and by having our robot inspected during the scrimmage, we could have more time to fix problems. We did not have any major issues, though; we had a few questions answered however, one of them being concerns about the robot’s height as we drive the robot, and we are glad to have them answered.

We continued to practise driving in the next three days. We made minor modifications to the robot on Sunday, and brought it to the town hall for practice. On Monday, we held an open house event at the same town hall, inviting people to come and see how the team was doing.


And they enjoyed our demonstration.


On Tuesday, we brought the robot to Cambridge-Isanti High School. As we could not fit the high goal into the town hall, we couldn’t really test out our shooter on it, and therefore we are very thankful to CIHS and team 5464 Bluejacket Robotics, who lent us the field to practise.

IMG_1967 IMG_1981

Shout out to these awesome guys!

Towards midnight, there was also one thing we had to do: the bag and tag process. Basically that means we have to put our robot in a plastic bag and wrap it up, so that we could not work on it anymore, until we go to Duluth where the competition is held.


That marked the end of the build season for this year. But that doesn’t mean we have nothing to do before the competition….


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: